The myth that George Washington’s false teeth were made out of wood, is simply that: a myth. However, what his teeth consisted of were likely more uncomfortable than wood. Dentists used hippopotamus ivory and cow’s teeth to craft Washington’s teeth, which were held in place with metal springs. Thankfully, when we need a tooth or multiple teeth replaced today, we have more appealing options.
When you contact Aesthetic Dentistry of Bernardsville in New Jersey, we will discuss the two choices that commonly exist for replacing a single missing tooth: a fixed partial denture or a dental implant. Our dentist will go over each choice and help you decide which would be right for you.
Cost Factors Involved with Tooth Replacement
Most dental insurance only covers teeth that you were born with and does not cover the replacement of teeth that are missing from a genetic anomaly. So, with either case, cost may be a factor in your decision. Facts that you need to know are:
- Dental implants can easily cost twice as much as a partial denture
- Some dental insurance plans cover the cost of partial dentures, while dental implants are not normally covered
- Dental implants have a longer life, while a partial denture has a life expectancy of about five years
Considering the Look and Cleaning Involved in Tooth Replacement
While cost may be your primary concern, the following considerations should also play a part in your decision about partial dentures versus a dental implant. Those considerations are:
- Appearance: Dental implants can create a more natural looking tooth without the metal hooks that are required to attach a partial denture
- Oral hygiene: Extra cleaning care of a partial denture is required while implants take the same care as a normal set of teeth
- Bone shrinkage: Dental implants do not allow bone or gum tissue to shrink, but dentures promote bone loss and can cause gum tissue to diminish
With either decision, you can be confident that your choice beats that of our first U.S. president. Whether you ultimately choose a partial denture or a dental implant, our dentist is ready to meet with you to discuss all of your concerns about tooth replacement. Call (800) 672-8518 to make an appointment with Dr. Patti Swaintek-Lamb. Aesthetic Dentistry of Bernardsville serves patients from Bernardsville, Morristown, Basking Ridge, Mendham, Chester, Far Hills and surrounding areas in New Jersey.