You’re sitting with friends or family looking through old pictures when you come across one of yourself. It’s a good one: your chin is up, there is a gleam in your eyes, and you’re wearing your biggest genuine smile. Upon closer inspection, you realize that you’re not so crazy about this picture afterall. Why? Your otherwise flawless smile reveals dark gray fillings in your molars. You move on to the rest of the pictures and wonder if you can go back in time and insist that your dentist use tooth-colored fillings.
Once believed to be superior to tooth-colored fillings, silver (amalgam) fillings are a thing of the past. There are many reasons why Aesthetic Dentistry of Bernardsville believes that tooth-colored (also known as composite) fillings are FAR superior to amalgam, the two greatest being their safety and their appearance. Here are a few details about tooth-colored fillings that we think you’ll be excited about.
- They’re multi-taskers. Not only are they used to fill cavities, they can be used to change the shape of a tooth.
- They bond directly to the tooth. How does this benefit you? We don’t need to remove as much tooth structure as we would with silver fillings.
- They can be repaired. Unlike silver fillings, we can repair chips and cracks in a tooth-colored filling without having to replace the entire restoration.
- They’re more aesthetically pleasing. The composite used to make tooth-colored fillings can be matched to the color of your natural teeth. This means NO ONE WILL KNOW YOU’VE GOT FILLINGS!
- They’re safer. Although the Academy of General Dentistry and American Dental Association have stated that the amount of mercury used in old-fashioned fillings is safe, we don’t want to take any chances with your health or ours.
If you have silver fillings, there’s no need to study quantum physics so you can build a time machine; we can replace them with tooth-colored fillings right in our office. If you’re interested in getting the mercury out of your mouth, contact us today. We proudly serve patients in Bernardsville, New Jersey, and the surrounding areas.