Bernardsville Dentist Serving Morristown, Basking Ridge, Mendham, Chester, and Far Hills, NJ
Dentistry is a branch of medicine with extensive roots. Through the years, it has evolved into a practice that diagnoses, prevents, and treats any disease concerning teeth, the oral cavity, and associated parts.
Our ancestors dabbled in dentistry, dating all the way back to 7000 BC in the Indus Valley civilization. It is likely that the pain associated with rotting teeth and cavities prompted the search for new ways to relieve the discomfort of tooth decay.
Learning more about the practice of dentistry can often relieve anxiety about the profession and the pain that can be associated with dental work. Dentists are here to help you maintain healthy teeth and prevent future pain attributed to cavities.
Helping you feel and look your best when you smile is what our cosmetic dentist at Aesthetic Dentistry of Bernardsville in New Jersey is skilled at doing. When you contact Dr. Patti Swaintek-Lamb, you’ll be with a dentist who is qualified at helping you obtain the smile you want.
Dentistry, Through the Years
While dentistry took some time to develop into what it is today, it’s often fun to look back at what our ancestors encountered with their own teeth. Some of those dental milestones are:
- 7000 BC – first evidence of dentistry being practiced in the Indus Valley Civilization
- 5000 BC – early texts describe legend of a “tooth worm” that caused dental cavities
- 3000 BC – a text, written in the 17th century reflects back to this time showing the treatment of several dental ailments
- 700 BC – first use of dental appliances evolves from the Etruscans in the way of gold crowns and fixed bridgework
- Middle Ages – dentistry has not yet become a profession and dental procedures are performed by barbers and general physicians
- 500-300 BC – Hippocrates and Aristotle write about the pattern of teeth eruption, treating tooth decay and gum disease, tooth extraction, and using wires to stabilize loose teeth and fractured jaws
- 1530 AD – first book focused on dentistry arrives, “Artzney Buchelin”
- 1685 AD – first dental textbook, “Operator for the Teeth” is written in English by Charles Allen
- 1650 to 1800 AD – science of modern dentistry develops when French physician Pierre Fauchard starts dental science in the 17th century with developments like dental prosthesis, dental fillings, and his findings that sugar derivative acids are responsible for tooth decay
Modern Dentistry Inventions
Nylon bristle toothbrush – invented in 1938
Electric toothbrush – invented in 1960 by the Squibb Company, under the name Broxodent
Toothpaste – Colgate mass-produced the first toothpaste in a jar
Dental Floss – in 1882 the Codman and Shurtleft Company of Randolph, MA mass-produced unwaxed silk floss for home use
If you are considering cosmetic dentistry and live in the Morristown, New Jersey area, please call our office at (908) 221-1188 or contact Aesthetic Dentistry of Bernardsville online today. Dr. Patti and her team will work with you to achieve the smile you desire.