Bernardsville Dentist Serving Morristown, Basking Ridge, Mendham, Chester, and Far Hills, NJ
If you are missing one or more teeth, it can have a significant impact on both your self-esteem and your overall oral health. Missing teeth can make it embarrassing to smile and difficult to talk and chew. If the space or spaces are left unfilled, your remaining teeth will start to shift and move toward the empty space.
Two replacement methods that are both effective and economical are dentures and partials. Recent advances in technology have made today’s dentures more secure and natural looking than ever before.
There are two main types of dentures: full and partial. During your consultation, Dr. Patti Swaintek-Lamb can help you decide which option is right for you by considering:
- The number of teeth that must be replaced
- The location or locations where they are missing
- Your price range
Modern equipment makes it possible to keep as many of your remaining teeth as possible. Advances have also led to drastic improvements to dentures and partial dentures, allowing them to look, feel, and function more like your real teeth.
If you are missing several teeth scattered throughout your mouth or if you have voids on both sides of your arch, a removable partial denture (RPD) may be recommended. There are two main types of RPDs:
- Cast Metal: Made of cast metal framework, these RPDs are cast to fit your tooth and are incredibly stable. Your teeth must be altered slightly so the RPD can fit on them without manipulating your bite.
- Flippers: These are much simpler, made from an acrylic tooth fastened to an acrylic plate, utilizing metal clips to hold it into place.
If you have no teeth left, a complete denture will be used. Your replacement teeth will be made out of special acrylic that comes in different shades, sizes, and shapes and is custom-fitted to your mouth.
There are several types of full dentures:
- Standard: Designed for people who are missing all of their teeth
- Temporary: Once your damaged teeth are removed, this temporary denture is placed over empty sockets to maintain the shape of your mouth
- Cu-Sil: These are created with holes to allow your remaining natural teeth to poke through
- Overdentures: These are one or more removable teeth that are inserted over the remains of your natural teeth, common if you have had root canal surgery
- Implant-retained: These are permanent dentures, fastened into your mouth with a titanium screw that provides a way to secure a dental implant
If you are missing one or more teeth and you live in the Morristown, New Jersey area, please call Aesthetic Dentistry of Bernardsville at (908) 221-1188 to begin discussing your tooth replacement options. Our dentist, Dr. Patti Swaintek-Lamb, will answer your questions about dentures during the initial consultation.
It is important that you seek dental treatment soon to prevent more serious problems such as all your teeth shifting and misaligning your entire bite. At Aesthetic Dentistry, we are dedicated to your oral health and can help restore it quickly and effectively. Aesthetic Dentistry of Bernardsville serves patients from Bernardsville, Morristown, Basking Ridge, Mendham, Chester, Far Hills, and nearby areas in New Jersey.