Bernardsville Dentist Serving Morristown, Basking Ridge, Mendham, Chester, and Far Hills, NJ
If you have anxiety about going to the dentist or if you have had a bad past experience, sedation dentistry can help you relax during your appointment. Sedation or relaxation dentistry is a technique that allows you to have an anxiety-free visit to the dentist.
Awake but Sedated
Through the use of common sedative medications taken orally or administered intravenously (through an IV), you can undergo your dental treatment in a dream-like state. Though you will actually be awake during treatment, you will be unaware of the actions being performed on you.
The medications also make it difficult for you to remember the procedure. In fact, many patients awake from their groggy state with no recollection of their dental treatment. Most people seldom feel discomfort after the procedure.
How Sedation Is Performed
Sedation dentistry works by altering your central nervous system using sedative drugs to produce a calm and relaxed feeling during dental procedures. At Aesthetic Dentistry of Bernardsville, we use three methods of sedation:
- Oral sedation: We prescribe drugs in the Benzodiazepine family, such as Xanax and Valium. These medications are to be taken orally prior to your treatment, so you will be relaxed when it is time for your procedure.
- Nitrous oxide/Oxygen sedation: Known as “laughing gas,” this type of sedation allows your body to function normally while sedating you the point where you may fall asleep.
- IV sedation: Where medication is administered directly into the bloodstream. This method is more effective than oral sedation.
You may be a candidate for sedation dentistry if you:
- Fear needles
- Have difficulty becoming numb after Novocain
- Must undergo multiple dental procedures
- Have had past traumatic experience at the dentist
- Have a strong gag reflex
- Suffer from other physical disabilities
Sedation dentistry works well for most people and is easy to monitor, but keep in mind that it does not produce any pain-relieving effect. Also, you must have someone drive you to and from your appointment, as it will be unsafe for you to operate a vehicle.
If you have anxiety about visiting the dentist, we can help. Please contact Aesthetic Dentistry of Bernardsville online or call (908) 221-1188 to discuss your options for sedation dentistry. Serving Morristown, Basking Ridge, Mendham, Chester, Far Hills, and the surrounding Bernardsville area, our sedation dentist can help you achieve your ideal smile without pain or anxiety. We look forward to hearing from and working with you.